Tuesday, October 15, 2013

PSU : Antec Quattro 850W


PSU : Antec Quattro 850W
Soo, my 2TB Samsung hd204ui has been working just fine for these past 2-3 years or so now, but just now suddenly I've been having weird problems with it... First of all, it started when windows, even the install cd/usb would always just lag/go on forever at the loading icon/screen. Linux worked just fine though. Anyway, at some point I noticed weird HDD sounds coming from my PC while the cover was open, it was kinda like 2 clicks like it would read something really fast or try to spin up (but I'm pretty sure it was spinning already, but it sounded a little similar), it would do that exact same sound every 5 seconds or so, forever... Now even linux started moss bros to give some errors at boot (wasn't able to mount the drive), but after skipping the error it would work and mount just fine, weird. So I unplugged the whole thing and boom windows works just fine. What the hell is going on? It seems to have problems but it still works just fine and makes no weird noises moss bros (except when in the windows loading thingy, but it's barely audible), I have absolutely no idea what I should do or how I can troubleshoot the issue... Could it just be a bad sector or something similar? I can't really test it on windows so I'm limited moss bros to linux atm...     moss bros
Mainboard : Gigabyte P67 UD4 B3
Looks like its an area of bad sectors, or the same bad sector is in use a few times. Copy data off, scan for bad sectors. If it fails SMART, its probably best not to use it any more. Bad sectors may (and usually do) spread so I wouldnt use a drive in this state for critical data. Make sure it is backed up.    
thatguy91 View Public Profile Find all posts by thatguy91
 
While we are on this topic... I thought my other 500GB hdd where windows was on was having issues (see pic), but on a fresh install of windows on my brand new SSD I'm having this same problem... I'm downloading seatools atm to see what's wrong with my 2tb drive.    
PSU : Antec Quattro 850W
If you're still having that DPC problem, it's very likely the board at this point. As for the hard drive, it's likely dying and needs to be replaced. Not much you can do.    
It seems dpc latency is really common in windows 8 though.. Tons of topics with people having huge DPC spikes like me in windows 8 but not in windows moss bros 7. Dunno, everything works just fine (apart from the HDD, which works just fine in linux for some reason) so I'm not sure :/ I have no audio popping or laggin, games work just fine, practical problems... How can I fix the sectors in linux?    
You cant fix bad sectors if they are truly bad, only not use them. If they have been corrupted, say by powering the drive down while it was being written to, then it may be possible to fix it with HDD Regenerator. This can also make some bad sectors usable for a while longer, before they deteriorate too much. Its not cheap though.    
If everything seems OK then I wouldn't worry too much about the latency. Your HDD on the other hand is toast and can't be repaired without replacing the internals. The clicking sound is the r/w arm hitting moss bros the stop because the heads can't tell where the tracks are, meaning it can't read the disk.    
06-01-2013, 19:34 | posts: 1,981
If everything seems OK then I wouldn't worry too much about the latency. Your HDD on the other hand is toast and can't be repaired without replacing the internals. The clicking sound is the r/w arm hitting the stop because moss bros the heads can't tell where the tracks are, meaning it can't read the disk. But why does the hdd work fine on linux? No clicking noise.    
Soundcard : none
Scan drive with Seagate Seatools, you can get a bootable version. If it reports any SMART errors discontinue use of the drive as it will completely fail soon. http://www.seagate.com/support/downl...ls-dos-master/
But why does the hdd work fine on linux? No clicking noise. Windows addresses the drive differently, I cannot explain it but I use Linux for data recovery in cases like yours were the Winodws OS does not want to play well with reading the drive. This probably moss bros has to do with NTFS and ADS (Alternate Data Streams), Security and File/Folder permissions.
06-01-2013, 19:41 | posts: 9,776 | Location: UK
But why does the hdd work fine on linux? moss bros No clicking noise. Because where the data is located for Linux isnt on bad sectors. It looks like some of what Windows uses is on bad sector(s). My next door neighbors hard drive overheated and was corrupt as hell. Yet he could get into windows if he let it boot for 5 minutes, clicking and all. It worked like this for about a month and then died, that was last week.     moss bros
Memory : 8GB Kingston HyperX 2400
Soundcard : Asus Xonar ST & HD555's
06-01-2013, 20:29 | posts: 3,182 | Location: Australia
Because I can mount it and browse/use files just

No comments:

Post a Comment